How do I sign up for new garbage service?

To find out if Walker is your hauler, use the Metro “Hauler Finder.” then submit a new service form. New business customers should call 503-531-6330 for information.


How do I change or stop my garbage service?

Use our online forms or call us at 503-531-6330.


My garbage wasn’t picked up! Why not and what can I do?

Occasionally we miss a can, but the most common reason for a missed pickup is that you did not get it to the pickup location early enough. It must be curbside (or wherever we usually pick it up) by 6 am on your collection day. It’s best to place your containers curbside the night before your service day.

Another cause of missed pickup is a dog- or wind-caused mess, which we cannot clean up. You can help us to keep your neighborhood clean by placing heavier items, such as a telephone book on top of your paper recycling, or by placing your loose recyclables into paper bags, then placing the bags into your recycling cart. You can do the same with your garbage, by placing heavier items on top and by properly securing the garbage bags (making sure they are tied, double bagged, etc.).

If you believe that we have missed your can, please leave it curbside and contact us right away.


When do I need to have my containers in place for collection?

All containers need to be placed at the curb by 6 am on your scheduled collection day. While we don’t collect everyone at that time, our schedules occasionally change. To ensure collection, it’s best to place your containers out at the curb the night before your service day.


I’ll be on vacation and will not require service. Can I stop my service and not be billed?

We can place a temporary hold on your service and provide credit for the missed pickups.

  • Up to three (3) vacation holds per calendar year
  • In order to receive credit, you’ll need to miss at least two (2) consecutive weeks of service or longer.
  • Vacation holds need to be arranged prior to your last pick up and you’ll need to provide exact dates to ensure the proper credit. If you are unsure of your return date, please provide the approximate month of your return.
  • We cannot credit your account if you plan to miss only one pick up. Contact the office by phone or e-mail for a vacation hold request.


I just moved and have a lot of cardboard boxes to recycle.

You can put out 10-15 boxes on your scheduled recycle day.   All boxes need to be cut and/or flattened into pieces no larger than 3 feet by 3 feet. They do not need to be exact, but keep in mind that we are not able to take really large boxes, like wardrobe or furniture boxes unless they are cut into smaller pieces.

You can always take all your boxes to Far West Fibers.  Give them a call at 503-643-9944 for more information on locations and  hours.


What happens to my recycling if I don’t sort it correctly?

In some cases, we’ll take what we can and leave the rest. However, we are not responsible for sorting through the material. All materials need to be properly prepared to ensure collection. Read more about curbside recycling here:


Can I recycle my Christmas tree along with my yard debris?

Please cut up your tree so it all fits inside your yard debris cart with the top closed. Any tree parts left beside the bin will be charged as extra material.

All trees will be picked up as yard debris during yard debris weeks. Trees need to be placed next to your containers, out at the curb (or wherever they are normally placed for pick up). Only artificial/flocked trees will be picked up as garbage and will be charged as an extra unit of garbage at: $6.25 in Washington County, $5.00 in Portland and $4.85 in Beaverton.

All trees need to be 6 ft. and under. If your tree is over 6 ft., it must be cut down into smaller sections. Trees (6 ft. and under) set out without a yard debris cart will be picked up at no charge. Additional sections will be charged as an extra unit of yard debris at: $3.00 in Washington County, $3.75 in Portland and $3.45 in Beaverton. Trees (6 ft. and under) set out in addition to a full yard debris cart will be charged at: $4.50 each in Washington County and Portland and $3.00 each in Beaverton.


What happens to my yard debris?

Several companies recycle yard debris into compost or mulch for gardens and agriculture. This is why we ask you to be careful not to contaminate your yard debris with chemically polluted material. For more composting information, visit the City of Portland website here: Food scraps are not accepted in Washington County or City of Beaverton yard debris carts as they do not participate in the composting program.


High Wind Warning!

Windy days in the Tualatin Valley often result in missing trash bins and lids, and trash and recyclables blown about the area. We want to assure you that we make every effort to secure your bins once we have emptied them. We also do all we can to prevent items from blowing away and we even pick up material (as much as is practical) when a bin has blown over or been tipped over by dogs or other animals.

Some bins and lids are more prone to flight than others — the bins we distribute have attached lids so they can’t blow away, and they’re heavier than most consumer bins. If you have recurring problems with missing bins or lids, you might want to consider using one of our supplied bins. (See rates)

You can help us to keep your neighborhood clean by placing heavier items, such as a telephone book on top of your paper recycling, or by placing your loose recyclables into paper bags, then placing the bags into your recycling cart. You can do the same with your garbage, by placing heavier items on top and by properly securing the garbage bags (making sure they are tied, double bagged, etc.).

One of the best ways to prevent problems is to get the emptied bins back to their normal location as soon as possible on windy days. If you’re not going to be home, perhaps a neighbor could help. Thanks for your help in solving this ongoing problem. For more information, feel free to call the office at 503-531-6330 or email us.


When will my garbage be collected if it snows?

We will attempt to collect everything on schedule. If we’re unable to service your street, please leave your containers curbside and we’ll attempt to collect on the following day, weather permitting. Daily updates will be available on our voice mail and the “SEE MORE” section on the Home page on our website.


The lid from my garbage can is missing. What can I do?

We make every effort to secure your container and lid. On windy days your containers may be blown over despite everything we do. We cannot be responsible for losses due to weather. Our roll cart bins have attached tops. You may wish to consider getting this service if you continue to have problems.

Be sure to search for your missing lid or bin “downwind” where it might have blown. It’s also a good idea to put your name, address, and phone number on the bin and lid so it can be returned to you.

The best way to avoid lost bins and lids is to retrieve them shortly after they are emptied. If it’s a particularly windy day and you’re not going to be home, you might want to ask a neighbor to put your bins away.


My garbage wasn’t collected on a very cold day, what happened?

Occasionally garbage becomes frozen inside the bin. We cannot remove it without risk of cracking your container. Just set out a double load the following week and you will not be charged for the extras (up to your service level).


My red/yellow glass recycling bin or recycling roll cart is missing. Can I get another one?

Most of the time, your roll carts can be found. Each one is numbered, and if you call the office, we can provide you with the number of your cart. You can check with your neighbors or check any unclaimed containers in the area to find your missing cart. We have purchased these carts, so we want to help you locate your missing carts/bins before delivering a replacement. If you have made your best effort to find your missing cart and are unable to locate it, we can provide replacement carts/bins at no additional cost to you.


We have a long driveway and it’s difficult to get the carts to the curb. What should I do?

Some of our customers have really long driveways that lead to the main road where we pick up and we’re often asked how they’re supposed to transport their carts down. You can purchase trailer hitch adapters, which allow our customers to safely and easily haul their roll carts.


Do I take my carts and bins with me if I move?

No. All of our carts/bins should remain at the property, other than your garbage cart, which we collect on your final pickup. Carts/bins should be available at your new residence. Contact your new hauler if they’re not.


I want a recycling and/or yard debris cart. How do I get one and what does it cost?

Your first yard debris cart and your first recycling cart are free (they are included in your monthly service rate). If you need an additional recycling and/or yard debris cart, there is an additional monthly rate depending on your jurisdiction. An additional cart should not be requested for a temporary situation, we ask that you plan to keep any additional carts for at least six (6) months. Just contact the office to request these.


Garbage Weight Limits:

20 gallon can/cart 40 lbs or less
32/35 gallon can/cart 60 lbs or less
60 gallon cart 120 lbs or less
90 gallon cart 180 lbs or less


Extra Yard Debris Weight Limits:

Bundle (no metal ties) 45 lbs or less
30 gallon paper bag (no plastic bags) 45 lbs or less
32 gallon can 55 lbs or less


How should we dispose of our “sharps?”

Please contact Metro Central Transfer Station at 503-234-3000.


What should I do with my hazardous waste?

Please contact Metro Central Transfer Station for the collection of hazardous materials at 503-234-3000.


I’m disposing of some heavy items. Do you have a weight limit?

If you have large items to dispose of such as a sofa or barbeque grill for example, please contact us to facilitate collection. We can collect most large items on your service day if we are notified ahead of time.


How do I dispose of leftover paint?

Metro accepts paint for recycling at the Hazardous Waste Facility, located adjacent to the Metro Central Station. More information is available at

Metro Central Hazardous Waste Facility (503) 234-3000 6161 NW 61st Avenue, Portland OR

We are able to recycle paint cans if there is less than one (1) inch of solidified paint in the can and the lid has been removed and placed into your garbage can.


I need a drop box. Do you provide them?

No. Drop boxes are available through our partner at Washington County Drop Box.


Washington County Drop Box

21435 NW Nicholas Ct. E Hillsboro, OR 97124

(503) 531-8843
Multnomah County Drop Box

P.O. Box 5069 Aloha, OR 97007

(503) 531-8843 


I have some broken glass to throw away, and I don’t want your haulers to get hurt. How should I wrap it?

If you are concerned, please wrap broken glass in a paper bag or newspaper. Our haulers make every effort not to touch any of your trash, but we greatly appreciate your effort!


How do I properly prepare messy items for collection?

Please contain ashes, cat litter, sawdust, packing peanuts (or any other type of trash that’s likely to blow around) in a paper or plastic bag. Shredded paper can be placed into paper bags (no plastic bags), then placed into your recycling cart. This will help us keep the neighborhood clean.


Who regulates garbage haulers in our area?

The regional government Metro sets many of the rules for solid waste disposal in the tri-county area (Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas Counties are part of Metro.) Individual cities (Beaverton and Portland) and Washington County have direct jurisdiction over garbage haulers within their service areas.


What happens to my garbage after you collect it?

Your garbage is taken to the Metro Central Station in Portland. From there it is compacted and loaded onto semi trucks and shipped to Waste Management Inc.’s Columbia Ridge Recycling and Landfill in Arlington, Oregon. Visit their website for more information here: